Romans 5:1-5 and John 16:12-15
Henri Nouwen pictured God, The Holy Trinity, as a house of love. Hans Urs von Balthasar thought of the Trinity as fully inclusive. “God is not a walled off castle, a sealed fortress for entrance by only a few, elite subjects. [God] is a house full with open doors, through which we are invited to walk.” God as The Trinitarian Community shapes the heart and soul of Highlands Church. This Sunday we’ll explore the almost unknowable beauty of God-in-Christ-in-the-Holy-Spirit.
Acts 2:1–4, 42–47
Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3 They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4 All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled them.
42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believ- ers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.
Something really big happened that day. It’s a wonderful, important mystery, but it is a mystery. For some of us, Jesus ascending on a cloud is a bit too reminiscent of Peter Pan flying off with Tinker Bell for one more adventure. Full of ambiguity and weirdness, the Ascension of Jesus sets us up to receive power from the Holy Spirit and then join in on the crazy mission of full inclusion for all people into the infinite love of God who loves everyone infinitely.
- In Between Days “John 21 and 16" - Rev. Mark Tidd
- In Between Days “Jesus Eats His Way Through the Gospel of Luke” - Rev. Mark Tidd
- In Between Days: On the Road of Broken Dreams - Jenny Morgan
- The Task Within The Task - Jenny Morgan
- "No Mess, No Ministry" - Mark Tidd
- Highlands Church Easter 2013, Jenny Morgan
- Passionate Living: Dietrich Bonhoeffer - Jenny Morgan
- Passionate Living - Mother Teresa - Jenny Morgan
- Passionate Living - Saint James - Jonathon Stalls
- Passionate Living: Saint Francis of Assisi - Mark Tidd